Saturday, June 14, 2008

Weddings, etc.

Okay, so, it seems as though ever since I turned 25, there has been one consistency in my life: weddings. Why does it seem like everyone and their mom is getting married? Oh wait, that's probably because evvvveryone is getting married!

At work, the chatter is all in the air: look at my ring! did you get order the flowers yet? where is your reception going to be at?... now, okay, this is fine for work-talk. It is generic and polite by taking an interest in a co-worker's life event.

However, it seems that this wedding-bug is even getting into my friends. I recently went to a wedding shower (for ha, a wedding), and everyone was talking about when they were going to get engaged (18 months in advance, because any sooner than then would be too long of a time period, and probably sooner than later because spring/summer 2010 is already being booked up quickly). What happened to the,"Hey, how's the career?" or the,"How is your sister/brother?" No, now it straight to wedding talk.

And another thing. It all feels like some silly kind of competition. "Did you see her dress? Def less than $5,000." "Those appetizers? Didn't cost over an extra $3,000." "She registered at Tiffany's!" Since when did a wedding stop being about a marriage and a commitment to someone you love, and start being about price tags?

Maybe I'm just bitter because everyone around me is getting married, and I'm not even close (and he doesn't have the Internet, and doesn't know about this blog, so it doesn't matter what I write). Or maybe it's the fact that I still feel like I am too young to get married, and want to accomplish more before I have a ring on my finger. Or maybe it's because I'm realistic and realize that so many people are forgetting that there is a MARRIAGE and LIFE-LONG relationship that should have attention paid to, rather than to how much a ring costs, what reception hall you booked, or the colors of bridesmaid dresses.

For my future MOH (Man of Honor) out there, know this: keep it simple. Don't spend a lot of money. I want the focus on my future marriage, not on my 6 hour party and 500-plus picture albums. I want the focus to be on emotions, not on cake decorations. I want the focus on love, family, and my favorite people, my friends.

No comments: