Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Swipe? My Ass!

The wonderful people who run HUP have decided on a novel new way to make nurses feel like professionals; they have now decided to make us swipe in and out on a time clock like the lowly shift workers that we are.

Now, I wouldn't be that upset about this, but there have been a few changes that have slowly been driving me crazy. First, they decided that we can no longer wear our own scrubs, we have to wear a solid blue uniform. Fine. Next, we can no longer wear sweaters (when it is absolutely freezing!) that are made out of fleece. Fine. Then, they up the price of our benefits, and we don't get any raises. The time clock then? Just the icing on the cake.

In a way, I agree with the time clock. It makes all of my co-workers stay the time that they are supposed to, and no one can sneak out early... thank goodness. But, in a way, I feel like it took away a part of my professional status. What did I go to school for? To wear a uniform and swipe in and out at a time clock? Clearly, that is the case. They cannot keep telling us that we are professionals, urging us to go to conferences/back to school/etc., and then infer that we can not be trusted to come and go as we please.

I heard today from one of my friends that other hospitals are beginning to give nurses salaries. Well, that doesn't really make much sense to me, and I would much rather go hourly. There is my conflict: I want to a stay an hourly employee, but I want the professional status of a salaried position. Can't I have my cake and eat it too?

I'll say one thing: I best be getting my two 15 minute breaks and 30 minute lunch if I'm not going to be paid for it. And I'll best be using up all my vacation time now... in a timely manner.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw the words "swipe" and "ass" and immediately thought it was going to be another story involving you getting lost inside some huge person's butt when you were wiping it!