Thursday, April 16, 2009

The End of Gen Y?


“You’re that Generation Y,” my mother told me. “I saw it on TV.” Well then...it must be true.

After doing some research, I read that “Generation Y” was first meant as a label for those born after “Generation X” as a pejorative term. Now it is simply “Gen Y” and the years it includes is under debate- on average, the years included are 1978-1989.

The distinguishing features of Gen Y include financial smarts, work-life balance, and frequently changing jobs.

However, I can’t help but wonder- in this state of economic distress, will the description of Gen Y change? Can Gen Y’ers really demand a work-life balance and frequently change jobs when they are scared about securing a job at all? And are they smartly managing their money by contributing to their 401k’s, or is this now a plan for disaster?

I am curious to see how this plays out. In the mean time, I’ll just be happy I’m not considered part of the “Millennials” or the “Net Generation.”

PS- I found the pic online on many different sites and do not know who to give credit it to.

No comments: