Monday, November 17, 2008

Weekend Update

In an attempt to avoid studying at any cost, let’s have a weekend update!

Last Friday I had the pleasure of being my cousin’s confirmation sponsor. It was really an honor, and the ceremony was very nice. My aunt (Cioci) hosted an awesome after-party with great food and fun- we had a bunch of sacrilegious but entertaining religious-related games. Honestly, my relatives are so creative: throwing coins into a poor box, bursting balloons with a flame pin to get out of “Hell”, rice bowl races, playing "Name That Hymn". Fun, relaxing, and nice to see family I haven’t seen in a while.

Just as nice was spending the day in Princeton showing MT around before the ceremony. I had forgotten what a connection I have to this other Ivy town. Not only do my parents still work and own land there, I went to grade school there for nine years.

Because MT still lives where he grew up, I think he takes for granted how familiar everything is to him. By showing him Princeton from my point of view (aka, all my childhood memories), it helps us understand each other better. Plus, as we talk about the future (the 5 years away future), it helps him realize what a sacrifice I’ll be making moving to a suburb near him (he needs a volunteer fire dept, but that means I have to leave my center city condo and will be taken out of the familiar -- again).

Saturday/Sunday was spent meandering around Center City. After a delicious breakfast in Fairmount (French Toast with nutella and bananas, almost orgasmic), we visited MT’s aunt and uncle who live near Rittenhouse. They’re very interesting, traveling people, and their stories were a riot. The night was capped off my a Korean place, which was honestly my first Korean food. Unfortunately, I wasn’t a fan- so to wipe that taste out, we got a Whole Foods cake. Amazing!

I’m getting really excited for the upcoming holidays. I can’t wait to see everyone I’ve been missing! And moreso, I can't wait for everyone to meet the love of my life, Sligo, at some point!

No comments: